Thursday 8 May 2014

Day 3

We had another eventful day in Vietnam today.  We went to the Industrial Park where VSIP (the owner of the industrial park) talked to us about what their business does in general.  It was really cool hearing how they deal with the government in Vietnam and to see how quickly industries are going to Vietnam to make their products.  Then we heard a presentation and went on a tour with II-VI, which mainly produces lasers, thermoelectrics, and optic materials.  It was really awesome because they took us through the factory where they made the products and they showed us the process behind the materials that they were making. This has been my favorite company visit by far to this point because it pertains to engineering and everything was so interesting to see how they went from the start to the finish of the product.  After we finished the company visits, we went to a porcelain shop, which was really cool because they had things of all different shapes and sizes and everything was beautiful.  I was able to get onto the roof of the building, which overlooked the city.  It was a breathtaking sight that I will never forget.  We went out to dinner with the Vietnamese students again and I actually had French fries at the restaurant.  That is the first time I had American food since I had been here, but I don’t miss some of the American food as much as I thought I would.  Following dinner we went to a karaoke bar, which was a lot of fun.  Sweet Caroline came on and we all sang it together.  That was my favorite part of the day because we all took part in it and everyone had a fun time singing the song together.  It is really awesome seeing how much closer we are becoming as a group on a daily basis.

Things I learned:

No one in Vietnam actually owns their land. It all belongs to the government and the government can do what it wants with it.
Nothing is ever free.
Motor bikes are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment